Thursday, August 20, 2009

Coney Island

So tomorrow, the autistic munchkin, one of his other therapists, and I are heading from the Upper East Side all the way down to Coney Island. He likes the subway well enough (we will certainly be bringing some gluten-free snacks, more than I brought to Ellis Island) and he'll probably like the ocean and the rides so long as we can shove him on them. I just have this irrational fear that we're going to lose him.

Irrational because I took him to Ellis Island all by myself and didn't lose sight of him for an instant, and in over a year I've never lost him (despite his alarming new practice of going into men's bathrooms by himself...someday there's going to be a bathroom with an alternate exit...). Also irrational because he sticks to me like glue when we go to new places (we went to Rockefeller Center during one of the busiest days of the Christmas season) and he's not really much for the running away part, unless he's really pissed off. Still. I have tags attached to velcro strips that I will be velcroing to him like there's no tomorrow.

Apart from that, I'm totally excited. I've never been to Coney Island. Of course, going there with the munchkin isn't really going there in the normal sense, but it's similar enough. Besides, half of the joy of taking trips with him is seeing how he reacts, how much fun he has.

I'll give more news tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment